The American Business Council of Pakistan (ABC) was formed in 1984 and has completed 33 years of service to Pakistan and playing a major role in bridging investments from the United States.
The ABC is one of the largest investors group in Pakistan – currently, we have 67 members and most of them are Fortune 500 companies. They operate in various sectors i.e. healthcare, financial services, information technology, chemicals & fertilizers, energy, FMCG, food & beverage, oil & gas and others. ABC members have cumulative gross revenues of US$ 4.0 billion. Our members contribute a sizable amount to the national exchequer every year as direct and indirect taxes – last year they contributed Rs. 119 billion. The ABC members also employ over 68,500 people directly who support 275,000 dependents and indirectly employ nearly one million people with agents, distributors, contractors, etc.
The Council is managed by an Executive Committee that is elected every year by its members and meets monthly to review various aspects of its ongoing initiatives. Depending on the economic cycle the initiatives may vary from year to year. Sub-Committees are formed, which meet regularly, to ensure that adequate focus is given to important issues affecting majority of Council membership.
The ABC is an effective channel for dialogue with the Government of Pakistan. Regular suggestions and input for improvement are provided to the relevant bodies like ministries, regulatory and tax authorities, etc., throughout the year. The focus of the Executive Committee is to ensure that the ABC’s suggestions are incorporated in the annual Federal Budget and Trade Policy. The Council also facilitates direct interaction with the Federal and Provincial governments through its guest speakers’ program, seminars and events all of which are aimed at sustaining an ongoing dialogue.
The ABC is affiliated with the Federation of Pakistan Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FPCCI) and is a member of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce (USCC), Washington D.C., and Asia-Pacific Council of American Chambers of Commerce (APCAC). ABC also has a close working relationship with the U.S.-Pakistan Business Council, Washington which is a component of the USCC.
The ABC Mission:
To protect and promote the interests of US Investors in Pakistan; to encourage and stimulate new investments; to introduce and inculcate best practices; to strive to establish a level playing field in the country in order to promote the development of commerce between the USA and Pakistan.
- To raise the profile of the ABC so as to ensure it is seen not only as a progressive body but also results in the greater participation and engagement of members.
- Increase the inclusivity of the North-Based membership
- Play an active role and engage with Govt. bodies, including IPOP, FBR, BoI and relevant Govt. Ministries.
- Lobby the Govt. on taxation issues effecting ABC member Companies
- Address the issues posed by the power sector and engage with the Govt. to try and find solutions
- Seek ways of working around the law & order and security threats effecting the smooth running of business in Pakistan
- To recognize the contribution of ABC members towards their commitment to continuously upgrade processes, systems, products and services, and create value for their employees, existing and potential customers and the local communities they operate in.